Sunday, August 03, 2008

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Nick Clegg on the Lib Dem constitution

Friday

In Westminster to settle some business before I leave for France, I come across Clegg in expansive mood.

“All those party committees. What is the point of them? When I decide it is a good idea to tell everyone how many sexual partners I have had, I don’t want a load of people in anoraks questioning my judgement.

"And what about David Heath? When I made up my mind to sack him for not abstaining on a referendum on the Nice Treaty because we wanted one on Britain’s membership of the European Union – albeit that we voted against one when someone else proposed it in the Lords – I just went ahead and did it. I didn’t want a lot of women with badges on telling me I was wrong.”

It is always a sign of danger when leaders get like this – and all do eventually, though it took even little Steel a few years. I recommend giving Clegg both volumes of The Open Society and its Enemies by my old friend Sir Karl Popper (he was Terribly Clever) to read.

And if that does not work we can always try hitting him over the head with them.

Now read on...

Thursday: The limits of wind power

Wednesday: Felicity Kendal's bottom

Tuesday: Irina breaks it off

Monday: Antibes Focus

No comments: