Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Another Harborough District councillor quits the Tory group

The Harborough Mail reports the resignation from the ruling Conservative group on Harborough District Council of Colin Golding. He is the member for Broughton Astley's Broughton ward.

The paper has his resignation statement:
“I wish to make public the fact that I have withdrawn with immediate effect from Harborough District Council Conservative Group and for the remainder of the current council term intend to sit as an independent member representing Broughton Astley (Broughton ward). 
“I regret that my personal standards and those of certain members of the current Conservative administration do not align and I cannot compromise my principles by continuing to be seen to support an organisation which operates with such individuals at the helm. 
“I have increasingly more issues outside my council role which demand my time and energy and it is my current intention to represent the residents of Broughton ward to the best of my ability for the remainder of the council term which expires in May 2015.”
Note too the splendidly pompous response by the Tory group leader.

Colin Golding is the second Harborough councillor to resign from the Tory group is recent weeks. Steve Charlish from Billesdon did so shortly before he was convicted of assaulting a woman by beating.

No comments: