Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Your chance to own an enamelled sign from Northampton Greyfriars bus station


Suddenly it is fashionable to admire architecture from the 1970s, and I find my own taste being educated in that direction.

But I still find it hard to mourn the Greyfriars bus station in Northampton. This was a building that killed two people: they were run down by buses as they avoided the dreadful underpasses you were meant to use to reach it.

So maybe the best way to remember the old place is that suggested by a study of the Northants Herald & Post:
A collection of 42 enamelled signs from the Greyfrairs Bus Station in Northampton are set to go on sale at a Northamptonshire auction house. 
The signs will be sold in pairs on Wedensday, November 19 at a prices of £30-£40 per pair at JP Humbert Auctioneers in Towcester.
You can see a few of the signs in my photo above, which I like to think captures the atmosphere of the old place.

No comments: