Sunday, January 10, 2016

Paul Young: Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home)



I love blue-eyed soul, but you have to admit there is something silly about it.

Steve Winwood has said in interviews that when he was making his wonderful covers of Black American records as a teenager with the Spencer Davis Group he did not always understand the words he was singing.

This record from Paul Young, a cover of a Marvin Gaye song, turns the silliness up to 11. Far from being the sort you cannot rely on to be there when you get home, he is such a sweet boy that he will have put the hoover round and have supper in the oven.

I suppose Young is a bit of a guilty pleasure - it was his misfortune to be at his peak in the naff Eighties - but he has a lovely voice.

1 comment:

Andrew Hickey said...

Not any longer, sadly. His throat problems over the years have left him with basically no voice at all now. I saw him at a festival a couple of years ago, and it was awful. A real shame, because he *could* sing really well.