Thursday, August 31, 2017

The Bottesford pub kept by Stan Laurel's sister


As Stan Laurel is everywhere this week, I thought I would revisit the first week of my holiday.

Waiting for the bus in Bottesford, I amused myself taking photos of this pub from a distance.

What I didn't know then was that the Bull Inn was once kept by Stan Laurel's sister.

Not only that. When Laurel and Hardy appeared at the Nottingham Empire to do a Christmas show in 1952, they stayed at the Bull.

The Nottingham Post has a photographs of them behind the bar and enjoying a drink with their wives.

2 comments:

Stephen Bigger said...

I have good friends in Bottesford and will call in. A lovely village. Mum's care-home was nearby but she died in February. Stephen

Jonathan Calder said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I love the path from the station to the church.